The ban across Australia's six states and two territories came after three children became severely ill after they swallowed the toy beads called "Bindeez".
Toy importer Moose Enterprise issued a voluntary recall of "Bindeez", named Australia's 2007 Toy of the Year, saying some batches of the beads failed to match the approved formula.
Instead of the safe chemical 1,5-pentanediol, the potentially dangerous chemical 1,4-butanediol was used in the manufacturing process of these toys. When ingested, 1,4-butanediol can metabolise into the date rape drug known as fantasy or GBH ("grievous bodily harm").
Authorities in Hong Kong also took steps to test the product on toy safety and dangerous drug concerns. via Reuters